"Hill House" Chair | Mackintosh Design
Hill House Chair | Ebonized Wood | "Ladder-rung Back" Substantially Higher than Upholstered Seat | Charles Rennie Mackintosh Design | Cassina's "Cassina I Maestri" Collection |
This chair was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, completely free of any "Style Conscious Connotations."
Macintosh employed existing decorative patterns for ornamental abstraction. Vertical and horizontal cross-sections are minimal pushing the material to its ultimate strength.
The original "prototype" chair still occupies the same position in the Helensburgh "Hill House" bedroom.
Cassina (Milan Italy) was granted the Exclusive Reproduction Rights (1972) by the University of Glasgow, Heir to the Artistic Estate of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, which is part of the Collezione "Cassina I Maestri," which also includes designs by:
- Le Corbusier,
- Gerrit Thomas Rietveld,
- Erik Gunnar Asplund, and
- Frank Lloyd Wright.
Each piece of furniture in the Collezione "Cassina I Maestri" is branded with
- the Signature of the Author, whose Copyright belongs to his Heirs and is of which has been granted to Cassina
- the Collezione "Cassina I Maestri," Logotype
- the Production Number; this serves to place the item in the chronology of production to tally with the identity card (which bears the same number
- to show that
- a final quality check has been carried out and
- allow the Heirs control as far as compliance with Copyright